Finding your way in the IPS standards is not always easy. Implementation guidance is available to help you structure your IPS data conformant to the standard and the technology used to implement it.
In implementation, it is always good practice to start at the source standard of the IPS:
- The ISO 27269 data model standard, which defines the meaning of each of the sections of the IPS
Implementation Guidance for the IPS is available from a number of sources:
- The CEN TS 17288 provides guidance on the implementation within Europe
- The HL7 CDA IPS Implementation Guide provides the specification on how to implement the IPS in the HL7 Clinical Document Architecture (CDA)
- The HL7 FHIR IPS Implementation Guide provides the specification on how to implement the IPS in the HL7 Fast Healthcare Interoperability Resources (FHIR)
- The IHE IPS Profile refers to both HL7 Implementation Guides and provides the basis for actual testing of an IPS interface to be provided by clinical information systems.
- In addition you may use IHE Document Sharing as a method of publication, discovery, and retrieval of the IPS.